2021-2022 In-Person Audition Dates
September 11, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
October 17, 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, and Tuba
UPDATE September 16, 2021: PYAO will continue to hold auditions by appointment, and currently has specific openings for Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, and Tuba. Please complete the registration form to schedule your audition! Any questions can be directed to Mr. Oatts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-545-0502.
Auditions are open to string, wind, brass, percussion, piano, and harp players. The Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra (PYAO) accepts students ages 13 through 18.
NOTE: Please contact the PYOMI office if you do not have access to the required percussion instruments.
Harpists should play 1) their own selection from the solo repertoire and 2) the following required orchestra excerpts:
- Flutes should be able to play or be willing to learn to play piccolo. If the student does play piccolo, please be prepared to play the provided excerpt as a part of the audition.
- Oboes should play or be willing to learn to play English horn. If the student does play English horn, please be prepared to play the provided excerpt as a part of the audition.
- Clarinets must own B-flat and A clarinets and be able to play or be willing to learn to play bass clarinet.
- Bassoons should play or be willing to learn to play contrabassoon.
- Horns should have begun learning to transpose.
- Trumpets should own B-flat and C trumpets and be able to transpose.
- Trombones should be able to read bass clef and tenor clef, and be willing to learn to read alto clef.
- Percussionists must play timpani, snare drums, and cymbals.
Annual PYAO tuition for the 2021-2022 season is $1795. A non-refundable deposit of $550 is due at the time an accepted student registers for the PYO Music Institute. Tuition balance is due by the first rehearsal of the concert season.
Financial Aid is available for those accepted students who demonstrate financial need. Applications are available upon request. Please contact the PYOMI office at email@example.com or 215.545.0502 for more information.