Paul Bryan, Director & Conductor
Barry McCommon, Associate Conductor
Robert Skoniczin, Associate Conductor
Karen Schubert, Horn Faculty
Brian Brown, Tuba Faculty
Bravo Brass — the only school-year-round brass ensemble in the Philadelphia — offers the highest level of individual and ensemble training opportunities for the most accomplished young brass musicians in the area. In addition to the opportunity to showcase their talents through multiple live performances throughout the year, members enhance and supplement their collegiate and conservatory applications, making them strong candidates for acceptance into the most prestigious universities and conservatories around the world.
Bravo Brass offers:
- The only year-round brass ensemble in the Philadelphia area.
- The opportunity to work under Director and Conductor Paul Bryan, who also serves as the Dean at Philadelphia’s esteemed Curtis Institute of Music.
- The opportunity to rehearse and perform side-by-side with the Brass Ensemble Faculty: Robert Skoniczin, trumpet; Karen Schubert, horn; Barry McCommon, bass trombone; Brian Brown, tuba.
- Development of individual and ensemble playing skills through weekly rehearsals and multiple performance opportunities each year.
- Valuable experience learning important pieces in the brass ensemble repertoire.
- Valuable experience for those brass players who plan on pursuing music at the college level and beyond.
- The opportunity to play with many of the finest young brass players in the area making music at an extremely high level.
- The opportunity to perform the most demanding and rewarding music available to brass players — putting into an ensemble context those concepts that are covered in students’ private lessons.
- A platform for students to enhance and supplement their collegiate and conservatory applications, making them strong candidates for acceptance into the most prestigious universities and conservatories around the world, including the Curtis Institute of Music, the Juilliard School, the New England Conservatory of Music, the Mannes College of Music, Indiana University, the University of Michigan, and the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music.
- An equal focus on music lessons and life lessons.
Bravo Brass rehearsals take place on Mondays from 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., mid-September through early-June, at St. Patrick Hall (240 S 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
2021 – 2022 Season Repertoire
Bravo Brass Sings – Choral Masterworks by Bruckner, Handel, Whitacre, and Others Arranged for Brass
Bravo Brass Plays Instant Classics – Enduring Favorites for Brass Ensembles
Classic Bravo Brass – A Multi-Media Celebration of 25 Years of Bravo Brass