Rosalind Erwin, Director & ConductorAudition Here View Gallery Upcoming Performances PYAO Young Artists Solo Competition
Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra prepares students through a sophisticated repertoire and rigorous intellectual and musical discipline. PYAO further provides the opportunity to work with a highly experienced professional conductor, musicians, and teachers; to rehearse a standard orchestral repertoire at a professional level; and to perform in high-profile professional venues throughout the greater Philadelphia region.
Philadelphia Young Artists Orchestra (PYAO) offers:
- Orchestral training for technically advanced students with an emphasis on the development of musicianship and high-level large-ensemble orchestral performance skills.
- The opportunity to work with a professional and highly experienced conductor, and to rehearse and perform sophisticated standard orchestral repertoire at a professional level.
- A higher level of preparedness through rigorous intellectual and musical discipline, which nurtures growth as both a musician and a person.
- The opportunity to work in sectional/master class settings with expert teachers and musicians from the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia, and other exceptionally qualified professionals.
- Collaboration among PYO, YMDO, and Prysm Strings students, including wind/brass/percussion assistance, internship opportunities with Prysm Strings, and more.
- The opportunity for advanced students to audition for solo work with their colleagues in a public performance at the PYAO Annual Concerto Competition, and to be adjudicated by the highest level of professional musicians from the Philadelphia area.
- Regularly scheduled performances in professional venues, including the Kimmel Center’s Perelman Theater and Verizon Hall.
- A platform for students to enhance and supplement their collegiate and conservatory applications, as most PYAO students are strong candidates nationally and are accepted into the most prestigious universities and conservatories around the world.
- Development of self-esteem, self-confidence, and good citizenship.
- Exposure/access to the wealth of culture in Philadelphia.
PYAO rehearsals take place on Sundays from 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., mid-September through early-June, at St. Patrick Hall (240 S 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
2022 – 2023 Season Repertoire
Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, op. 68
Billy the Kid Suite
Symphony No. 2, op. 30 (“Romantic”)
Overture to Colas Breugnon, op. 24
Helios Overture, op.17
Capriccio espagnol, op. 34
Romeo and Juliet, Fantasy-Overture
Overture to I vespri siciliani