Hiring: Teaching Artists for Flute, Clarinet, Trumpet, Trombone, Violin, Viola, Violoncello
Job Opening for 2023/24 season faculty and substitute teachers:
After-school operations throughout Philadelphia – three days per week, two hours each day.
January 2024 – May 2024
Independence Mission Schools – St. Helena-Incarnation Catholic School – 6101 N. 5th St., Philadelphia, PA 19120
Independence Mission Schools – St. Barnabas Catholic School – 6334 Buist Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19142
The mission of PYO Music Institute’s (PYOMI) Tune Up Philly-Orchestral Pathways Program offers programming in under-served neighborhoods by keeping children engaged in success through weekday out-of-school hours music instruction. Through its Tune Up Philly program, PYOMI organization believes and demonstrates annually that music education is a powerful vehicle for children to master skills that will enable them to acquire valuable tools for cooperative learning, teamwork, academic success and self-esteem.
– Performances at the Kimmel Center and Temple’s Performing Arts Center
– Full Calendar year of contracted teaching commitments
– Develop opportunities to increase your visibility and influence in the performing arts
– Learn from a core group of experienced educators in effective urban approaches and networking throughout the PYOMI calendar of operations and professional development
– Coordinate with program faculty to meet student learning benchmarks and carry out shared pedagogical approaches
– Develop creative and challenging lesson plans in advance of daily classes with two staff meetings per month at PYOMI offices in Rittenhouse Square.
– Learn, understand, and represent the program’s philosophies of uplifting youths, families, and communities through the pursuit of musical excellence
– Lead group classes for students in grades 2nd and up, assist with ensemble rehearsals and program events
– Participate in program events such as professional development and concerts
– Have the ability to solely manage a classroom of students and commitment to a calendar year
– Have the ability to report directly to Tune Up Philly director and respond to all correspondence in a timely fashion
– Passion for music and the arts as a vehicle for positive social change
– Excellent musicianship
– At least two years teaching experience with beginners and in group classes
– Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
– Ability to be flexible and capable of working in challenging environments
– Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
– Strong knowledge of standard music pedagogy
– Ability to oversee groups of children and teenagers
– Four-year undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required; post-graduate degree, certifications, or equivalent experience a plus
– Experience teaching more than one instrument a plus
– Must have up to date FBI, PA Police Background and Pennsylvania Childline clearances dated 2018
– Experience teaching in urban under resourced communities a plus
$50 per hour for After-school Group Class instruction
Please send a resume with references and cover letter to Paul Smith, Director of Tune Up Philly, at: PSmith@PYOMusic.org. For more information, visit www.PYOMusic.org.