Paul Smith, DirectorView Gallery Upcoming Performances
Tune Up Philly offers a differentiated musical curriculum that was created to meet the specific needs of students living in challenging social and economic conditions, with a focus on effecting meaningful community change. The program offers children in underserved communities an opportunity to learn and perform orchestral music and make a true difference within their communities, both through the use of music and through a purposeful connection with others.
Tune Up Philly offers:
- A differentiated musical curriculum created to meet the specific needs of individual students living in challenging social and economic conditions.
- The opportunity to work under Director Paul Smith, who has worked tirelessly since 2011 to develop TUP into the successful program that it is today.
- A focus on true community change, with instruction offered within the most underserved communities/demographics of any Philadelphia area programming.
- Opportunities for students to perform in locations both within students’ neighborhoods and elsewhere in high-profile Philadelphia venues.
- Opportunities for students to truly connect across neighborhoods and communities through a large-scale orchestra.
- Opportunities for students to be impactful on their surrounding community while gaining skills that will assist them in a lifetime of employment outside of performance.
- A partnership with community members (e.g., Food Trust collaboration) whose presence has positively impacted local business.
- A forum for connecting advancing students with additional learning and performance opportunities throughout Philadelphia.
- One-on-one assistance for families enrolling in peer music organizations. Develops skills to succeed in the competitive high-school-application process.
2021 – 2022 Season Repertoire
Folk and Traditional Melodies from Around the World
Large Ensembles from the Orchestral Canon