Patrick Bailey, Director & ConductorAuditions View Gallery Upcoming Performances
The Philadelphia Youth Symphonic Band (PYSB), a new program division of the Institute, provides advanced instrumental music students access to training, musical and personal development, and performance opportunities through professional level wind band repertoire. In addition to musical advancement, members develop personal traits of character, discipline, perseverance, and citizenship through their work in the ensemble.
PYSB provides the opportunity to work with highly experienced professional conductors, musicians, and teachers; to rehearse professional level wind band repertoire; and to perform in high-profile professional venues throughout the greater Philadelphia region.
Philadelphia Youth Symphonic Band offers:
- Instrumental music training for technically advanced wind, brass, and percussion students with an emphasis on the development of musicianship and high-level large-ensemble performance skills.
- Advanced instrumental training through master class sectional rehearsals with expert teachers and musicians.
- Access to advanced wind band literature through rehearsal and performance.
- Opportunities for students to showcase their collective talents at professional concert venues such as Verizon Hall at The Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, one of the world’s great concert halls and the home of The Philadelphia Orchestra.
- Access to supplemental resources through the PYO Music Institute including College and Conservatory Audition Preparation classes, Introduction to Conducting classes, and access to the Institute’s Student Resource Center & Library.
- A platform for students to enhance and supplement their collegiate and conservatory applications, and to learn about existing pathways to careers in the music industry outside of teaching and performing.
- Mentorship and volunteer opportunities with students in other program divisions of the Institute.
- An investment in each student’s future through development of diligence, responsibility, and personal commitment to excellence — all lessons that have lasting impact on a student’s character and future success.
PYSB rehearsals take place on Tuesdays from 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m., mid-September through early-June, at St. Patrick Hall (240 S 20th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103).
2022 – 2023 Season Repertoire
Harrison Collins / Trentadue
O rose of May
Kevin Day / Trentadue
One Life Beautiful
Percy A. Grainger / Sweeney
Movements from Lincolnshire Posey
Fanny Mendelssohn / Bukin
Selections from Das Jahr