2020-2021 Audition Video Submission Deadlines
September 11, 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Auditions being accepted on a rolling basis throughout 2020-2021 season.
Auditions are open to student string, wind, brass, and percussion players. The Young Musicians Debut Orchestra (YMDO - formerly PYMO) accepts students ages 11 through 17.
UPDATE - October 13, 2020: PYO Music Institute is still accepting auditions on a rolling basis for available positions in all ensembles for double bass, viola, oboe, bassoon, French horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, and percussion.
UPDATE May 5, 2020: Video Submission Guidelines for PYO, PYAO, and YMDO have been amended, including an extension for the total time limit for video submissions. Please review the updated document.
String performers should play 1) required scales, 2) their own selection from the solo repertoire, and 3) the following required orchestral excerpts:
NOTE: During the COVID-19 crisis, percussionists may not have access to mallet instruments or timpani. Percussionists are to adapt the audition requirements to the best of their ability with the instruments with which they have access.
- If a flute student plays piccolo, please bring the instrument to the audition, and be prepared to play a scale.
- If an oboe student plays English horn, please bring the instrument to the audition, and be prepared to play a scale.
- Clarinet students must have a B-flat clarinet, and if possible, have access to an A clarinet.
- Horn students should be starting to learn transpositions.
- Trumpet students must have a B-flat trumpet, and if possible, have access to a C trumpet, and should be starting to learn transpositions.
- Percussionists should play timpani, snare drums, and cymbals.
Annual YMDO tuition for the 2020-2021 season is $1595. A non-refundable deposit of $550 is due at the time an accepted student registers for the PYO organization. Tuition balance is due by the first rehearsal of the concert season.
Financial Aid is available for those accepted students who demonstrate financial need. Applications are available upon request. Please contact the PYO office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.545.0502 for more information.